Skip to main content

First year of marriage


Brief intro:
We met for the 1st time at the Transitions young adult retreat in September 2007. Later that year, I got involved in BT kids and Todd happened to work for BT kids at the time. We got to know each other through ministry and became good friends. In January 2008, Todd launched Project compassion, which was the outreach component of Transitions. I was chosen to be part of the leadership team and we worked closer together. End of March my lease was up, and Todd helped me move in with a friend that lived 2 blocks from him. We then had a great excuse to go and leave the church together, and the rest became history. We officially started courting in July 2008, we got engaged July 2009 and we got married December 2009. And here we are today married for 1 yr 2 months.
I have to tell you when we reached our 1 yr anniversary, we rejoiced and said we maid it ;-) The first 6 months you will say “Wow we are married” or you will ask: “What is wrong with you?”
Bullet points:
  • Everything changes
  • Moving in together
  • Communicating
  • Humility
  • Process/Time
  • Challenges (Communication, differences, intimacy and outlet)
First year of marriage, what has changed from the wedding day until now? EVERYTHING! Starting with moving in together, waking up next to each other everyday, establishing the apartment, dividing house chores, dealing with the finances, increased cooking and cleaning, sharing your space, changing from mine to ours and the list goes on…
Let me pick out one big adjustment MOVING IN TOGETHER/LIVING WITH EACH OTHER: If you think you know your boo, you are absolutely wrong J I remember someone ask me (and it seems like a rhetorical question) do you know Todd? So I tried to answer smart and said: I probably didn’t even scratch the surface. He answered: “YOU KNOW NOTHING!” Great thanks for the encouragement. And you know what, he was right. It is a whole other ball game. You will truly get to know the other person for who she/he really is. There is no more hiding, covering up and pretending. You will be fully exposed. So I encourage you to start Communicating!! Talk it out, share, and reveal whatever is on your heart or what the other person may not know about you. From habits, fears, struggles, challenges, about family background, upbringing, past relationships, expectations, emotions and so on. The more you share before marriage, the less surprises you will have.
Another big thing is humility. In general as a Christian there is no room for pride and especially in marriage. It will help you, to put yourself in the frame of mind, that God placed your future husband/wife in your life to help you to become more like Christ. They will know everything about you. Your flaws, shortcomings, strengths and they will point out a wrong, correct you if needed and you want to embrace that. Keep in mind he will not be your enemy, but your partner, team mate & best friend. God taught me how to die to myself and I’m still learning. I thank God for my husband, because he makes me a better person. He challenges me and helps me to grow. In marriage God will use your spouse to teach you how to humble yourself.
Keep in mind that everything is a process, and everything takes time. There are no quick fix solutions. The more you prepare yourself by studying the Word, reading about marriage, and talking with other healthy godly couples, will help you to gain understanding and prepare you for what’s to come. Now I’m going to keep it real with you. Todd and I read as many books we could get our hands on, listen to many marriage related sermons, had pre marital counseling for about 8 months, and did the pre marital class like so many of you. And still, when you are in the midst of a conflict, facing differences, dealing with emotions, struggle to understand each other, it is CHALLENGING! Just prepping won’t take the challenges or potential battles away, but it will help you to be aware, to remind you that this is normal, many go through the same things and there is hope. I don’t want to know how we would have handled any challenges, if we wouldn’t take the time out to study. It is important, don’t cheat yourself in thinking; you can deal with when it happens.
What has been the biggest challenge in our marriage? Well here are a couple: Communication – when to talk and when not to talk. Differences – embracing it, accepting it and appreciating it. Intimacy – understanding each other’s needs, expectations, past consequences and how much work goes into it. Outlet – Having another married women of God that can relate to you and you can confide in! That last one is definitely been hard for me. Ladies, I pray that God will provide that women or better yet that couple in your life. It is not healthy to use your future spouse as a counselor. I’m still waiting on God to answer that prayer for me. A person that can relate to my situation, which is married to a Pastor and involved in ministry.
- Shared at the Pre-marital prep class at the Brooklyn Tabernacle. Thank you Lord for giving us an opportunity to share. Very humbling. God is awesome.
Blessings,
Nicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look what the Lord has done

Jesus you have brought me this far... Let's back track 4 1/2 years ago. I moved to NYC in May 2006 to pursue modeling. I had an agency in Miami, Chicago and NYC. I moved to Harlem were I had 2 roommates. Little did I know the 140 block seemed to be a hot one, where drug transactions would be a daily thing. About a month later I had a photo shoot with Essence Magazine. One of the models was a Christian and invited me to the Brooklyn Tabernacle. I was already in search for a church, what a perfect timing. In June 2006 I was at a crossroad and said no to the world and gave my life to Jesus, hallelujah! At the present time I was modeling and worked as a waitress at a Coffee and juice spot called Society. In January 2007 I became an assistant manager at Society the coffee shop. On September 2007 me and my friend Kathleen were invited to the Transitions young adult Retreat. I was already going to BT for a bout a year, but weren't really connected at the church. After the

Language of love

Missions trip Pila Laguna Philippines July 2nd-13th 2010 Let me tell you about my little boy Chip-Chris-Christopher (we kept mixing up his name) but he responded to all 3 of them. Chris is 9 years old. I met him for the first time in November 2007, when he was 6 years old. He is so handsome. He has the cutest smile that will melt your heart away and a lazy eye that makes him unique. Chris has as far as I know 5 or more siblings. Him and his family live in the squatter areas. I believe he is still in first grade and it's hard for the family to fund for Chris to go to school. He does not speak english very well, so it was hard to communicate with each other. Chris delights in singing and dancing, I have watched him sing worship songs with all of his heart. I would hear his voice stick out and I was very encouraged to see him still around. I pray that God will open a door for him to be used at the church in Pila Laguna called PCAT (Pila Christ Agape Tabernacle). My husband and I wen

Holy Life

I honestly believe there is a lack of pursuit of holiness in this generation. The world is definitely far from holy, and it has crept it's way in the church. Unfortunately some are being conformed by the world, rather then allowing the Holy Spirit to transform them. Evaluate your conversations in fellowships. How often does the word holy or holiness come up? It can be easy to get caught up with what's in right now, how far can I go in relationships, what can I wear that still makes me hot as a Christian? Some like to listen to secular music, because they have good beats, even though they don't glorify God.  Some love watching romance flicks, while they blatantly magnify immortality. The list can be endless of distractions. God has called us to live holy lives, not impure lives (1 Thessalonians 4:7 NLT). I have such a desire to fully understand God's holiness and what His expectation is of me as a Christian. I don't want to find myself caught up in things, that br