Skip to main content

What are we eating?

Have you ever wondered why we gain in weight, even if we "EAT HEALTHY"? Or better yet we think we eat healthy food.

I was born and raised in Germany. I remember when I was a kid, I found this American vending machine (on a military base) full of chips and candy. I have never seen anything like this before. The colors were bright and the package looked appealing to the eye. I ran to the bank and exchanged my German change to some quarters. Me and my friends were so excited. I was introduced to products with over dose on sugar, packed with sodium, with lots of artificial flavor and many ingredients I can't pronounce... And it tasted so gooooood! Immediately I thought German (European) snacks are plain. Little did I know, what I thought taste good would only hurt my body.

When I moved the the US, I quickly gained some weight. I didn't really eat much more then before. I remember trying to figure out the nutrition facts and thinking to myself, this product is not so bad, only 6 grams of sugar and minimum amount of sodium and carbs. It was years later when someone explained to me how to read the nutrition facts. I needed to multiply the servings size times what the written facts were. I WAS SHOCKED! The 6 grams turned quickly into 50 grams, CRAZY! I have to say, the food companies are pretty slick. They know what they are doing. On the first look nothing seems that bad, but once you take a closer look, it's a different picture.

I recently watched FOOD.inc and I recommend everybody to watch it. It is very informative, but unfortunately sad and disgusting. The documentary expose what happens to the food we eat and expose the companies motives. These companies are not looking out for your health, all that maters to them is money $$$$$. How can we make this cheaper and get the most out the pockets from the people? And mind you, they are banking even more when we get sick from all this processed stuff we eat. I have to call it stuff, because it's no longer food.
God created the animals, fruits and vegetables and it was perfect. What we find now is mostly substitutions and lab created meals.

I have found a great app called Fooducate. This app allows you to scan the barcode of any food products and gives you facts about it. KNOWLEDGE is power. I scanned as many items I could get my hands on and found many items that were not good for me. You will find detailed explanations of the nutrition facts and ingredients. They grade each food item and give you alternative options (love it).

Just today, I found out that some "Organic" labeled products are a big cheat. I was looking for half & half or cream, so I scanned a regular one and an "organic"one. Guess which one was worse? The "Organic" one. Unbelievable! Immediately I thought to myself, wow these food companies are slick. They found a new way to make more money. Think about it for a second... Anything that is labeled "organic" cost more, because the companies make us believe the meat and vegetables come from "special" farms, or the food is not processed. Unfortunately this is not the truth for most products.
I encourage you to read the small printed ingredients list. If you find more then 5 ingredients in it, then it's most likely processed.

Have you ever seen a drink that said: 100% natural. Yep, many of us did. That doesn't necessary mean it's natural. I have scanned this new "100% natural" grown up soda (what does that even mean?) and what do I find? Artificial flavor, lots of refined sugar, citric acid and many things I can't pronounce.
So what was natural?...Oh, I get it?... The actual fruit on the label is? You know, when it's stated "cranberry & lime", "apple" or "strawberry & kiwi" . My point is, when the actual fruit is being used for the drink it makes it "100% natural". CRAZY! Very deceptive. I don't know how this makes you feel, but I had enough from all this junk.

I understand I can't avoid all the unhealthy stuff, unless I plant my own fruits and veggies, or have my own farm, but that's not going to happen, especially not in Brooklyn ;-). I will start to pay close attention and spend a little extra time during my grocery shopping. God has blessed me with a healthy body and I don't want to ruin it, or get sick, because I eat food that is quick, convenient, cheap and stuffed with things, that my body has a hard time digesting.

Here are a couple stats I found on the web:
  • Obesity is the number one health threat for Americans
  • Obesity is the second leading cause of preventable death in the United States and results in 400,000 deaths each year
  • About 60 million American adults are classified as being obese with another 127 million being over weight
  • The cost of health care in America is said to increase by $93 billion a year
  • Meatpacking has become one of the most hazardous jobs in America
  • Because of poorly trained employees it increased the risk of large-scale food poisoning
  • Manure gets mixed with meat, contaminating it with salmonella and E. coli
  • On average nearly one-third of U.S children aged 4 to 19 eat fast food on a daily basis
  • Over the course of a year this bad habit is likely to result in the child gaining six extra pounds every year
  • Food processing can introduce hazards not encountered with naturally-occurring products
  • Processed meat were found to be associated with higher risk of cancers
Isn't this sad? I had to stop for a minute, because it's getting overwhelming. There is so much more to find, but I didn't want you to read a 100 page blog ;-).

Thank God there are a few companies that serve good food. If you have any recommendations, please send it my way, it will be very appreciated. I pray this brings an encouragement to search for the truth and to have awareness of what is going on? And to know what we are eating? If we are choosing the damage to our body, then at least let us be aware of it.

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I want to honor God with my body, actually with my entire life. If I'm careless with what I put in my body, that will end up hurting me and potentially hinder the will that God has for my life. I want to be able to serve God with no stumbling blocks, but if I get used to eating the wrong food, it can hold me back. It can start with consistent exhaustion, tiredness, health issues & much more. Don't allow the enemy to grab a foothold on your life with your health.

10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10

Thank you Jesus for revealing your truth and for wisdom. Help me to honor you in everything. Soon everything will come to light. The many secret things wont stay in darkness for long, because you are coming soon. Help me to be a light and to encourage one another. Give me wisdom and understanding, so I'm alert and won't fall into the traps of the enemy. I thank you for your unconditional love. You care about everything in my life, even what I eat. I love you Jesus and praise you wonderful Holy name.

Blessings,
Nicole

Comments

  1. Thanks for sending this post my way Nicole! I am definitely going to look into the Food INC documentary as well. I have definitely felt the disadvantages of mistreating my body and being totally careless about the things I eat. Feeling heavy, exhausted, lacking energy even after the recommended 8 hours of sleep and the list goes on and on!

    I just pray for patience, endurance & discernment in this healthy lifestyle journey I am on because reading those labels and researching, and working out is very time-consuming and cumbersome! (Trust me, I know!) Anyhoo, thanks for spitting some knowledge on me sista! I love how God puts people in my life that encourage me to keep fighting the fight to overcoming obesity! I rejoice in that.

    Miss Dosso~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Nicole, thanks so much for sharing this. As a person knowledgeable about nutrition myself I made it my business watching Food Inc. right when it came out. I usually ONLY eat imported stuff I grew up with in Germany. It hurts your wallet a bit, but your body does not need large quantities of food, but quality ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nicole! I have a couple of questions :)

    1) First, when you said that the organic cream was "worse" than the regular kind - in what sense? Calories? Fat content?

    2) I read this recently concerning "natural" food:
    "According to the USDA, food can only be labeled natural if it contains no artificial ingredients or added colors and is minimally processed. Furthermore, the label must clearly spell this definition out, so that consumers are not misled by the “natural” label. Although this label is an important step in the right direction, many consumers are more concerned about what the natural label does not mean.

    For example, animal products raised with the use of artificial hormones can be labeled natural. So can genetically modified organisms. Most importantly, natural does not mean organic, although many companies would like consumers to think it does. Organic food has a stringent set of requirements, policies, and procedures that must be followed for certification. These requirements are much more explicit and in depth than the single paragraph definition used for “natural.”

    3) Anything that is labeled USDA 100% organic means that the product MUST have been produced solely with organically-produced material, excluding water and salt. But watch out for labels that just say "organic," "made with organic ingredients" - as these are not necessarily 100% organic.

    4) There are some products that it definitely makes sense to buy organic, and others not. To be honest, milk and cream is one product that I've been strongly advised to ONLY buy organic. That's why I was curious as to what made you choose the non-organic cream.

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ames, great question. Yes it was the calories and it was processed. I believe it had many ingredients on it, can't remember now. I scanned Horizon "Organic" heavy cream, it was rated C-it had 50 calories which is much worse then the average creams (average has 29 calories).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Look what the Lord has done

Jesus you have brought me this far... Let's back track 4 1/2 years ago. I moved to NYC in May 2006 to pursue modeling. I had an agency in Miami, Chicago and NYC. I moved to Harlem were I had 2 roommates. Little did I know the 140 block seemed to be a hot one, where drug transactions would be a daily thing. About a month later I had a photo shoot with Essence Magazine. One of the models was a Christian and invited me to the Brooklyn Tabernacle. I was already in search for a church, what a perfect timing. In June 2006 I was at a crossroad and said no to the world and gave my life to Jesus, hallelujah! At the present time I was modeling and worked as a waitress at a Coffee and juice spot called Society. In January 2007 I became an assistant manager at Society the coffee shop. On September 2007 me and my friend Kathleen were invited to the Transitions young adult Retreat. I was already going to BT for a bout a year, but weren't really connected at the church. After the

Language of love

Missions trip Pila Laguna Philippines July 2nd-13th 2010 Let me tell you about my little boy Chip-Chris-Christopher (we kept mixing up his name) but he responded to all 3 of them. Chris is 9 years old. I met him for the first time in November 2007, when he was 6 years old. He is so handsome. He has the cutest smile that will melt your heart away and a lazy eye that makes him unique. Chris has as far as I know 5 or more siblings. Him and his family live in the squatter areas. I believe he is still in first grade and it's hard for the family to fund for Chris to go to school. He does not speak english very well, so it was hard to communicate with each other. Chris delights in singing and dancing, I have watched him sing worship songs with all of his heart. I would hear his voice stick out and I was very encouraged to see him still around. I pray that God will open a door for him to be used at the church in Pila Laguna called PCAT (Pila Christ Agape Tabernacle). My husband and I wen

Holy Life

I honestly believe there is a lack of pursuit of holiness in this generation. The world is definitely far from holy, and it has crept it's way in the church. Unfortunately some are being conformed by the world, rather then allowing the Holy Spirit to transform them. Evaluate your conversations in fellowships. How often does the word holy or holiness come up? It can be easy to get caught up with what's in right now, how far can I go in relationships, what can I wear that still makes me hot as a Christian? Some like to listen to secular music, because they have good beats, even though they don't glorify God.  Some love watching romance flicks, while they blatantly magnify immortality. The list can be endless of distractions. God has called us to live holy lives, not impure lives (1 Thessalonians 4:7 NLT). I have such a desire to fully understand God's holiness and what His expectation is of me as a Christian. I don't want to find myself caught up in things, that br