Skip to main content

When "Keepin' It Real" Goes Wrong


The mentality is, you think you know it all, when at the end you know nothing. Ouch! The word that keeps coming to my mind is HUMILITY! 
When you humble yourselves as the scriptures say: Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Philippians 2:3 Phew, God is pretty clear and direct with us.
Many justify their inappropriate behavior, by saying; “I’m just keeping it real”. It basically means, having no filter and think you have the right to just say what ever is on your mind. I have fallen short of this many times and I’m grateful that by God’s grace he is working constantly on my heart.  One of the main lessons I have personally learned is to do everything in love.
Another thing that is very dangerous, when people gossip during prayer. That just smells like “when keeping it real goes wrong.” God is all about unity amongst the body of Christ. Any gossip, even in prayer destroys unity. Please do us a favor and keep silent, if you can’t sincerely pray for someone in love.
Self-righteousness reflects insecurity.  It really breaks my heart, when I see Christians think they are superior then other people. We all started with the same need of salvation and God’s grace. Then somewhere down the road, we can loose perspective and judge others left and right. I remember a humble smack down in my life. In BC (Before Christ) times, I used to dress very inappropriately. My modesty was compromised. When I got saved, I learned over time to cover up and dress respectfully. Then I went to the other extreme and dressed so modest I looked 30 years older then I was.  Next thing you know, I got quickly upset when I saw another girl in church dress to impress her “goodies”. I began to judge others and got insecure around some of the women.  Today I’m so grateful for God’s forgiveness, to know my father so closely, that my heart started to break for the girls and I had compassion for them. God reminded me of my BC times, when I was in their shoes and he convicted me about my behavior. How many of you are so thankful for God’s mercy and grace. He began to expose my insecurities and gave me the grace to face it. I disciplined myself to submit my thoughts to the Lord and pray for others in love.
On a different note, sometimes I ask myself the question: What are we doing with the information God is exposing to us? Have you ever thought about it?  Why would God choose you to reveal certain information? Maybe, because He entrusts you to accomplish a greater task. I was so blessed by Rick Warren, when he said he is not a great writer, yet God chose him to write a book called “Purpose Driven Life” and it sold 25 million copies. What if God would have chose you to write this anointed book? What would you have done with the revenue? Now with the attitude of “when keeping it real goes wrong”, we can deceive ourselves and spend the money on the wrong things and end up hurting ourselves and others.  God knew what Rick Warren would do with the money.  He is tithing 90% of his income, now that is faith. He is giving God all the glory. I want to be a woman of integrity and give generously with God’s love and to bless His people.
Father God I pray that you will continue to work on my heart and draw me near to you. Teach me to live a life that is pleasing and honoring before you. I thank you for every refining process and for renewing of my mind by the power of your Holy Spirit. Thank you Jesus for everything you have done for me and continue to do. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

By Nicole Crews


Comments

  1. Great post, Nicole! I especially love the paragraph about self-righteousness vs. our insecurities and how really the key IS our relationship with our Lord, "knowing Him so closely" that we acknowledge conviction, surrender, and accept His mercy and grace. I needed to hear that today. Well said - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Look what the Lord has done

Jesus you have brought me this far... Let's back track 4 1/2 years ago. I moved to NYC in May 2006 to pursue modeling. I had an agency in Miami, Chicago and NYC. I moved to Harlem were I had 2 roommates. Little did I know the 140 block seemed to be a hot one, where drug transactions would be a daily thing. About a month later I had a photo shoot with Essence Magazine. One of the models was a Christian and invited me to the Brooklyn Tabernacle. I was already in search for a church, what a perfect timing. In June 2006 I was at a crossroad and said no to the world and gave my life to Jesus, hallelujah! At the present time I was modeling and worked as a waitress at a Coffee and juice spot called Society. In January 2007 I became an assistant manager at Society the coffee shop. On September 2007 me and my friend Kathleen were invited to the Transitions young adult Retreat. I was already going to BT for a bout a year, but weren't really connected at the church. After the

Language of love

Missions trip Pila Laguna Philippines July 2nd-13th 2010 Let me tell you about my little boy Chip-Chris-Christopher (we kept mixing up his name) but he responded to all 3 of them. Chris is 9 years old. I met him for the first time in November 2007, when he was 6 years old. He is so handsome. He has the cutest smile that will melt your heart away and a lazy eye that makes him unique. Chris has as far as I know 5 or more siblings. Him and his family live in the squatter areas. I believe he is still in first grade and it's hard for the family to fund for Chris to go to school. He does not speak english very well, so it was hard to communicate with each other. Chris delights in singing and dancing, I have watched him sing worship songs with all of his heart. I would hear his voice stick out and I was very encouraged to see him still around. I pray that God will open a door for him to be used at the church in Pila Laguna called PCAT (Pila Christ Agape Tabernacle). My husband and I wen

Holy Life

I honestly believe there is a lack of pursuit of holiness in this generation. The world is definitely far from holy, and it has crept it's way in the church. Unfortunately some are being conformed by the world, rather then allowing the Holy Spirit to transform them. Evaluate your conversations in fellowships. How often does the word holy or holiness come up? It can be easy to get caught up with what's in right now, how far can I go in relationships, what can I wear that still makes me hot as a Christian? Some like to listen to secular music, because they have good beats, even though they don't glorify God.  Some love watching romance flicks, while they blatantly magnify immortality. The list can be endless of distractions. God has called us to live holy lives, not impure lives (1 Thessalonians 4:7 NLT). I have such a desire to fully understand God's holiness and what His expectation is of me as a Christian. I don't want to find myself caught up in things, that br